Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Conflict in the Bubble

Basing the conflict off of the theme I decided on, there are many options. The easiest way, for me, is to recreate an incident that has already happened. Being I live in Edina, the idea of “living in a bubble” has been brought up to me many times. I try to ignore that idea because I don’t want to think of myself in that way or be thought of in that way.

During my film class last semester we watched Spike Lee’s controversial film Do the Right Thing. After the viewing we had a class discussion on some of the overriding themes of discrimination, racism, and segregation. A kid in my class proved many of those who believe us Edina children are living in a bubble, right. He stated that “crime doesn’t happen in Edina.” Though the majority of the class was in shock at the statement he just made, he continued to go on and said if a black man came into a store he owned and demanded to put a picture on a wall (as seen in Do the Right Thing), he would be too afraid they had a gun. This is one conflict that I think would be interesting to put in my play. Not only should most disagree with this kid, but it would raise awareness to those who live “inside the bubble”.

No comments: