Wednesday, March 19, 2008

How Unpoetic

One thing I find myself talking about a lot with friends, family, and even people I don’t know is religion. Religion is a highly controversial topic that can fire up a conversation that seems to last for days on out. When I really think about it though, I’ve never had a controversial conversation about religion that has ended well. Most conversations I have ever had have ended abruptly and in all honesty because most the time I am the one that is sick of talking about it.

But consider this; if one is true to their religion, what is the sense in arguing about it? Most religions are based on faith. Faith is the idea that there is a nature and purpose to the universe we are a part of; so what’s the deal with all the arguments?

One thing that really makes me mad is a certain group of my friends. Though I love them and their goofy selves, they can really set me off at times. As we were sitting one night, having a ball, something led us to the religion talk. Now considering my friends are all extremely politically minded and very opinionated, (which I see as a good thing!) talks like these should be avoided. As we got to talking, it turned into more of an argument rather than a conversation. Now I am no preacher but when it comes to my faith I don’t want anyone trying to convince me not to believe in what I believe in. Under my roof, in my room, I don’t want to hear a bunch of my friends beleaguer me about God, faith, or what any Holy book says; I don’t care if it is the Koran, Bible, Torah, or anything. I just don’t feel like I should be pestered in my home. That is the first time I realized that it isn’t worth the argument. For everything I said, they had a counter argument, and for everything they said, I had a counter argument, and so on. That’s when I stopped. Though it made me angry for a while, I came to realization that I was contradicting my own beliefs.

Now if I am to get into any religious conversations, or should I say arguments, I simply leave it at the plain fact you believe in what you believe, you can’t define belief or what’s right or wrong. And to those who can have a decent conversation about religion, I respect that. I love to hear of what others believe; I just don’t like other’s to tell me I’m wrong. I respect others and their beliefs so I try hard not to offend anyone with different beliefs.

As Buddha said, “Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”

No comments: